Building GCC

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Wed Feb 12 02:01:31 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, torsten wrote:

> >The GCC installtaion states that I should unset these variable,
> >unfortunately, I do not know how to do that.
>
> Just set them to an empty string.  This can be done, just
> to make sure.
>
> Like this:
>
> export CFLAGS="" &&
>     CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

This should really be on the support list, but:

Unsetting a variable is not the same as setting it to the empty
string. An unset variable _does not exist_, a variable set to "" _does
exist_. I.e. if you set CFLAGS="", and some script tests if CFLAGS is
set, it will see that CFLAGS is, well, /set/. If you unset CFLAGS, the
script will see that CFLAGS is /not/ set.

So as another poster pointed out, the right answer to your question is
to say
	unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS

uli

--