/etc/shells

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 06:26:24 PST 2003

"Vassili Dzuba" <vassilidzuba at nerim.net> wrote in message
news:20030211234748.43365587.vassilidzuba at nerim.net...
> Hello,
>
> The command chsh is installed with the shadows package,
> but it seems to be useless unless a /etc/shells exists.
>
> Shouldn't the creation of /etc/shells be in the book ?

For the sake of completeness I'd say so (similar to the zlib issue that
is now resolved, and the current mktemp/tempfile stuff).  If the book
installs a particular program then IMHO it should do everything else
required to enable those programs to work.  As this is such a trivial
fix then putting the file creation under Shadow's instructions would
seem to be the "Right Thing".

> Moreover, the function getusershell(3) uses also this
> file and, if it does not exist, assumes that the two shells
> available are /bin/sh and /bin/csh (but not /bin/bash !).

But with the link created from /bin/bash to /bin/sh this shouldn't
really be a problem should it?

> When trying to install troll ftpd, i wasted two of three
> hours before understanding that the problem that prevented
> me to connect to the server was that /etc/shell was missing.
> The server assumed that the /bin/bash i had in my /etc/passwd
> wasn't a valid shell.

I'd personally treat that as a bug with troll ftpd - I believe bash is
widely used now so I would have thought that it should be supported?

Hoping this doesn't start a flame war!

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org