/etc/shells

torsten torsten at inetw.net
Wed Feb 12 07:55:29 PST 2003

>> The command chsh is installed with the shadows package,
>> but it seems to be useless unless a /etc/shells exists.
>>
>> Shouldn't the creation of /etc/shells be in the book ?
>
>For the sake of completeness I'd say so (similar to the zlib issue that
>is now resolved, and the current mktemp/tempfile stuff).

Shells deals with allowed shells on a machine for certain functions.
Adding shells to /etc/shells because it seems like a good idea, is not a
good idea.  This can open up security holes, so it is better to be sure
you need the shell in /etc/shells before doing so.

If unsure, it is better to leave it out, until the research can be done.

Torsten
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org