/etc/shells

Vassili Dzuba vassili.dzuba at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 12 08:35:45 PST 2003

"torsten" <torsten at inetw.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
20030212105529.663a5e29.torsten at inetw.net...

> >> The command chsh is installed with the shadows package,
> >> but it seems to be useless unless a /etc/shells exists.
> >>
> >> Shouldn't the creation of /etc/shells be in the book ?
> >
> >For the sake of completeness I'd say so (similar to the zlib issue that
> >is now resolved, and the current mktemp/tempfile stuff).
>

> Shells deals with allowed shells on a machine for certain functions.
> Adding shells to /etc/shells because it seems like a good idea, is not a
> good idea.  This can open up security holes, so it is better to be sure
> you need the shell in /etc/shells before doing so.
>
> If unsure, it is better to leave it out, until the research can be done.

If the application accesses /etc/shells through getusershell(),
a non-existant /etc/shell is the same as a /etc/shell with
/bin/sh and /bin/bash. (at least on linux; according to man pages found
on the web, it seems that other version of unix return larger sets of
shells).

That means that some programs will behave differently if the user's
shell is /bin/bash or /bin/sh, even if the second one is a symbolic link
to the first one. This situation is quite unintuitive, i think.