Host distro for Building LFS

Adam Trilling agt10 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 12 15:00:34 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Rob Park wrote:

> Good luck with that, considering that the linux kernel can't run on a
> 286. You'll have to port it yourself...

Check out ELKS (elks.sourceforge.net).  It's a subset of the Linux kernel
that will run on an 8086.

Obviously, it's missing a lot of features that we take for granted.  For
example, it can't multitask, since memory protection wasn't implemented
until the 286 and timer interrupts weren't implemented until the 386.  But
it could be interesting to mess with....

Adam Trilling
agt10 at columbia.edu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org