More on Pure LFS

Nathan Ladd nathanladd at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 19:28:26 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not many changes here. Ryan and myself are still testing like mad to
> come up with the best outcomes for Ch 6. Almost there..
>
> Some good news. It looks like we won't need the "mount --bind" stuff
> after all. Glibc in Ch 6 seems to be perfectly happy with an already
> existing glibc in /stage1. A single symlink in Ch 5 will do the
> business. No messy symlink hacks for 2.2 kernels now :-)
>
> The biggest drama we've had lately is working out how to integrate
> some form of perl into the equation. We really need perl to facilitate
> glibc's "make check" (amongst other things). The perl build system is
> an ABSOLUTE MOTHER to massage so that it copes with our initial
> bootstrap environment with glibc in a non-standard location. We've
> managed to come up with a "Minimalist Perl" which essentailly involves
> using "miniperl" from the perl build. More on that later.. once I get
> it into the hint.
>
> The hint is online at:-
>
> http://www.zipworld.com.au/~gschafer/pure_lfs.txt
>
> You can also look at Ryan's build scripts at:-
>
> http://www.zipworld.com.au/~gschafer/scripts/pure_lfs/
>
> The hint isn't quite in sync with Ryan's scripts as he's been busy
> integrating "make check" stuff..
>

> Greg

Umm...perl takes like 5-10 minutes for me to build tops...I don't mind
adding it to Chapter 5.  I'm going to test it out tonight (i'll add it
in after the current ch 5 build order (pure-lfs, not lfs-book of
course) and log the glibc build in ch 6 if you want (though since it's
a 'stock' perl build i doubt there would be any problems).

--
Cheers,
Nathan Ladd (ThanatosNL)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org