Revised LFS-4.1 release notes

Jostein Christoffer Andersen jostein at josander.net
Wed Feb 12 23:34:58 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> First thing is an index at the end of the book. A tech book without an
> index is kind of 'weird' so to speak and I've been asked to add one. So
> I'll have to figure out how to do this. No way we should maintain an index
> manually. I'm not sure how to go about this in an XML format, but I am
> fairly certain there are good tools to do this in LaTeX.
>
> What does this mean? I don't know yet, but it might mean I will have to
> convert XML to latex, render an index, then create a PDF out of it. I'll
> do some research and we'll find out soon enough. Anybody who wants to
> help? Please go ahead ;)

I'm afraid that I'm writing this too late but I give it a try.
The Subversion (subversion.tigris.org) project's documentation are written
in XML and was moving from LaTeX to XML because the documentation (the XML
sources) are becoming the upcoming treeware book from O'Reilly.

I think that you will find everything you need from this link:

  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/doc/book/

The "README" and "HACKING" files are the first readings and the book sources
itself are found in the "book" directory.

It's very easy to set up everything you need from this sources and it's easy
to make one chunk and multi page HTML docs - and the PDF files looks great!

You can find the Subversion book in PDF format at:

  http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=256

I dont't think that an index is made there yet (the book are about 80%
finished).

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jostein at josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/