Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 14 14:11:25 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:31:46PM +0100, Jules Colding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good work!
>
> But I have a small question.. I have now build a few ch 6 packages. The
> only modification to the environment that I did, was to "sed" the ch 5
> gcc spec file immediately after having installed the ch 6 glibc. Using
> ldd to inspect the ch 6 binaries shows that they all link against the ch
> 6 glibc and that they are all using /lib/ld-linux.so.2.
>
> So, is it really necessary to do anything else to get a pure and correct
> ch 6 build?

Sort of. We also adjust the ldscripts. Though if you don't, everything
should still be ok. I believe what will happen is that ld will link against
the libs in /stage1 but but because you've told gcc to use the dynamic
linker in /lib, runtime linking will link against /lib. The end result
shouldn't really matter as the glibcs in /stage1 and /lib should be pretty
much identical by this stage.

The abridged version of the hint will work as you describe.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org