Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu
Fri Feb 14 14:17:25 PST 2003

> Just a comment,
>   Its been a while since I used TeX, but at one time I was very familiar
> with it.  When I first started, I tried LaTeX, but there were just some
> things that I wanted to do that LaTeX wouldn't let me do (or at least I
> couldn't figure it out easily.)  I then went to straight TeX and never
> looked back.  Creating macros for TeX is not very hard if you understand
> the principles that Knuth used when formulating the system.  It does
> take some time to get up to speed, but I feel that plain TeX gives more
> flexibility and is, at least for me, easier to understand than LaTeX.
>  The best reference is Knuth's own TeXbook.

Indeed, if you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself.
Unfortunatly, I'm sure Gerard has a finite amount of time, so writing
macros specific for lfs-book (which may best be done regardless of
if TeX or LaTeX are used), writing a tex2html (which could likely
give better results than the existing latex2html), and finding
people preficient in plain TeX (okay, I guess there are probably
more of those on lfs than LaTeXers given the `from scratch' feel
of plain TeX)...oh wait, where was I going with this?  Bah, I would
make a bad debate speaker because I can't stay on one side long enough
to finish a sentence.... So the motion for plain TeX is seconded.

-James Smaby
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org