Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 14 15:34:14 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:39:02AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> The only reason I spent all this time researching is that I was hopeful there
> might be a way to keep XML as the master source. We use XML for ALFS
> purposes, and other nice things. It'll be less convenient having to extract
> the data from LaTeX files.
>
> Because of this, I'm not simply removing the XML and only sticking to LaTeX. I
> have created a new CVS module called $CVSROOT/LFS/latex/ in which we'll be
> working on the latex conversion of the LFS book (we'll == whoever is
> interested in helping out) . I hope to have this latex version ready in a
> matter of days. The end result is that we'll have a proper PDF file that is
> worth being printed and sold. After this PDF has been sent out we'll see what
> we are going to do with the XML version because I do see a lot of technical
> merit for keeping it. But I really don't wish to discuss that right now, I
> simply cannot afford the time.

This is not my area of expertise, so I'll only make a passing comment. And
that is, it seems to me that keeping 2 copies of the source is a recipe for
disaster. Depending on whether the initial tex stuff works out ok, bite the
bullet, and maintain one or the other, not both.

Just as long as we LFS'ers can still produce some nice pretty HTML without
jumping through hoops[1], then I'm happy.

Greg

[1] getting xml docbook to work involves a fair few hoops so tex shouldn't be
that much harder :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org