Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Fri Feb 14 19:13:24 PST 2003

Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:

> LFS'ers
>
> It's not quite finished yet but there is enough here for anyone to utilise
> the new method and build a complete system. There are still some FIXME's in
> there.
>
> [....]

Yippee! ;) I'm throwing my i586 at 133 at it now and will likley do
the same on my iBook when it gets its rebuilds in the not _too_
distant future.

My comments'll likely be in several pieces since this machine's slow.

>From the Hint:

>    mkdir /stage1
>    ln -s $LFS/stage1 /

I think the mkdir is extra. In any case, the pair error out with:

ln: `//stage1': cannot overwrite directory

It would be reassuring if ``Chapter 5 - "Locking in" our new glibc''
stated whether or not to delete the binutils-build directory after
running ``make install-data-local''.

Similarly, the Hint seems to assume that the gcc and binutils source
trees are reused. That is the kind of thing i would advise some newbie
with a problem to try not doing so it would be reassuring if the
Hint explicitly stated that it's expected to work.

(I think) i know where to get the binutils patch from reading the
lists, but (unless i'm blind, which is possible) the Hint doesn't
give the location.

> It's worth mentioning here that user name and group name resolution will start
> working immediately the passwd and group files are created....

``start working immediately _after_'' probably.

More when this machine catches up....

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org