Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Feb 14 20:23:18 PST 2003

Andrew Calkin wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>Aren't all the commands available to TeX _also_ available under LaTeX? From
>my experience, any tricks I saw in TeX for handling different scenarios
>could be applied "as is" in my LaTeX file, and they worked. I thought LaTeX
>just contained other useful stuff, the foundation of which is in predefined
>TeX macros.
>
>Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
>
>//Andrew.
>
>P.S. Everything I had found in TeX, I subsequently found a way using LaTeX
>commands, but mostly long after the fact. Just my $0.02 .

Please don't top post.

AFAIK LaTeX is a set of macros for TeX, however, I belive (that means
I'm not sure) that some of the standard TeX macros are redefined.  If
that's so, it would make thngs more difficult.

My initial exposure to TeX was in 1992 and I did write my dissertation
in TeX.  Since then, I've used TeX in two fairly small, but complex,
projects.  In both cases I wrote programs that gathered standard
database query output and produced TeX output.  I also wrote macros that
then were added and documents produced.  In both cases, the documents
had to be regenerated relatively frequently and were over a hundred
pages long.  The final process was fairly elegant because the books
could be produced with one command.

My initial problem in LaTeX was that I wanted to write a table that
spanned a page break.   I couldn't figure out how to do that quickly in
LaTeX, but is was straight forward in TeX.  (It may be straight forward
in LaTeX too, but it wasn't obvious at the time.)

In any case, I have all five of Knuth's TeX books (and read The TeXBook
and MetaFONT book, scanned the others).  I think the whole system is
fairly elegant and very powerful.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org