Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Feb 15 05:03:59 PST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:39:02 -0700 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Well, that's a lot of text to simply say "I'm converting XML to LaTeX in
> order to create a proper PDF file for publishing". But I thought I'd
> give the rationale behind it so ya'll know why and stuff. In case you
> care ;o)

If you create your own XML doctype (with or without an actual DTD) you can
do everything in it that you can do with LaTeX and with an XSLT stylesheet
you can convert it to exactly the same LaTeX as you would have written by
hand. So IMHO, what you should do is

step 1) convert the book to LaTeX by hand to get the best print output
possible

step 2) create an XML version that can be easily converted into the LaTeX
from step 1, while at the same time maintaining as much distinction
between content and representation as possible (i.e. don't simply create a
1:1 XML<->LaTeX mapping).

step 3) now work only with the XML version, getting the best of both
worlds

MSB

--
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago -

The second best is now!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org