Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Feb 15 08:13:03 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:59:37 -0000 "archaic" <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:

> Not being overly familiar with XML, it really seems some think it's the
> cat's meow. LaTeX or TeX can produce very nice output in many formats
> (with convertors) including PDF and HTML, whereas XML seems to need
> LaTeX as an intermediary to produce customizable PDF output unless you
> write either an XSLT stylesheet or an XML doctype. So what is better
> about creating an XML template vs a TeX template?

You can do a lot of other things with XML that you can't do (well) with
(La)TeX. For instance you can get nice HTML (I have yet to see that from
LaTeX->HTML conversion) or you could extract all the LFS commands or just
the package contents. Or maybe you want an HTML file that has just a table
with packages and their SBUs. All of this is no problem with XSLT but
difficult with (La)TeX.

MSB

--
Want to learn long division in ternary?
Contact me at ICQ 2101001122212.01/0.00002

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org