Going to have to convert XML to LaTeX

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Feb 15 10:43:39 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:46:06 -0000 "archaic" <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, sounds good for HTML output, but I guess Gerard's problem is PDF
> output ATM. Will a specialized stylesheet overcome the problems he's
> having with page layout? It seems we have a quandry here as TeX leans
> more towards printed output and XML leans towards HTML output, yet we
> need both hopefully without 2 versions of the book. :\

XML is a general purpose format. It can represent anything. You could
reimplement LaTeX in XML, e.g.

<begin what="document">
<frontmatter/>
<title>Foo</title>
</begin>

and an XSLT stylesheet could generate standard LaTeX from this easily. Of
course, this would not be very well suited for anything but generating
LaTeX (and hence would be quite pointless). Once Gerard has written a
LaTeX version of the book, the challenge is to find an XML representation
that is still easy to convert into LaTeX (and that most importantly allows
representing all the hacks he has used to force LaTeX into producing the
output he wants) but that at the same time is easy to process in all the
other ways we want.

MSB

--
There are only 10 types of people in this world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org