Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 15 15:23:31 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:01:00PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> It would be good to adjust the instructions, if possible, so that
> /stage1 can be readonly.

But /stage1 is a single symlink now so not applicable I feel (unless I've
missed your point which is highly probable :-)

> Following are some of my thoughts, I have not yet tested them so take
> the suggestions with a grain of salt.
>
>    * Perl can be installed in Chapter 5. If dynamic version is too
>      troublesome, maybe a static one.

/me reaches for the salt :-). Dude, give me some feedback when you've
actually had a play with it. I spent a full day farking around with the perl
stuff and I'm still not happy with it. Perl's assumptions about where /libc
is located are truly mind boggling.

>    * The reinstallation of ld (binutils) after installing Ch 6 can be
>      avoided by adding /stage1/lib to then end of LIB_PATH and then
>      installing ld just before entering chroot.

Possibly. Doesn't feel as neat to me though.

>    * Changing the gcc spec file after Ch 6 glibc could be avoided by
>      changing the spec file before entering chroot and the making a
>      symlink after entering chroot "ln -s /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2
>      /lib/ld-linux.so.2"

Yeah, I thought about stuff like this. Haven't tested it tho'. The thing
that stopped me from testing it is, glibc seems to have an ingrained
"awareness" of where it is installed. Playing little tricks like this may
slighty upset the apple cart and not produce the exact desired results.

Thanks for the feedback dude.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org