Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 15 15:56:42 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:01:00PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>It would be good to adjust the instructions, if possible, so that
>>/stage1 can be readonly.
>>

>But /stage1 is a single symlink now so not applicable I feel (unless I've
>missed your point which is highly probable :-)

:)To be more precise, there should be no need to change anything in
/stage1 after chrooting in Chapter 6. That way once the /stage1
directory is prepared, it can be burned to a CD and reused.

>>Following are some of my thoughts, I have not yet tested them so take
>>the suggestions with a grain of salt.
>>
>>   * Perl can be installed in Chapter 5. If dynamic version is too
>>     troublesome, maybe a static one.
>>

>/me reaches for the salt :-). Dude, give me some feedback when you've
>actually had a play with it. I spent a full day farking around with the perl
>stuff and I'm still not happy with it. Perl's assumptions about where /libc
>is located are truly mind boggling.

:-) Yep, those were my first impressions, am still working thru it one
by one, perl is at the far end, and considering the horsepower of my
CPU, the word "far" really means "far":) BTW, I install perl statically
using the following configure options.

    ./Configure -d -e -s -Doptimize="$CFLAGS" -Dprefix=/static
    -Dldflags="-s -static" -Dso=none -Uinstallusrbinperl -Uusedl

>>   * The reinstallation of ld (binutils) after installing Ch 6 can be
>>     avoided by adding /stage1/lib to then end of LIB_PATH and then
>>     installing ld just before entering chroot.
>>

>Possibly. Doesn't feel as neat to me though.

Yep, but it will only be used till the Ch 6 binutils is compiled which
is immediately after glibc.

>>   * Changing the gcc spec file after Ch 6 glibc could be avoided by
>>     changing the spec file before entering chroot and the making a
>>     symlink after entering chroot "ln -s /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2
>>     /lib/ld-linux.so.2"
>>

>Yeah, I thought about stuff like this. Haven't tested it tho'. The thing
>that stopped me from testing it is, glibc seems to have an ingrained
>"awareness" of where it is installed. Playing little tricks like this may
>slighty upset the apple cart and not produce the exact desired results.

The only affected package would be glibc, since in the hint, the spec
file is changed immediately after glibc is installed. glibc anaways uses
its own linker flags to use /lib/ld-linux.so.2 even though gcc specifies
/stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2. So, it would be non-issue.

>Thanks for the feedback dude.

Thanks to you and Ryan for the hint and giving us the opportunity to
have some fun:) I will be trying the suggestions I mentioned, especially
the last one.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/