Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 15 18:14:14 PST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:01:05PM -0500, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> In your recent pure-lfs, 'Last Modified: Sat Feb 15 03:43:25 UTC 2003',
> 'Chapter 6 - Kernel' compilation should be Chapter 8?

You are correct...  again! :) Fixed.

> Chapter 5 goes pretty good except for the following three items.
> == Item 1 ======================================================
> ### Glibc  - initial - Sat Feb 15 12:18:46 EST 2003 ###
>  o Configure OK
>  o Build OK
> XXXXXX glibc make check NOT OK - CHECK LOGS (glibc-init.log) XXXXXX
> -Installing Glibc
>  o install OK
>  o ALL OK
>
> Which is a math (double) failure. I modified the script to keep running,
> based on some memory of posts that said those types were not critical,
> IIRC. Probably because I'm running versions of something out-of-sync
> with your testing. At least I hope that's all it is. I know this will need
> to be resolved later.

The Ch 5 glibc is not as critical as the one in Ch 6. If that still fails
then definitely need to investigate. Could be processor or arch specific.
Should be more clues in the *.out file e.g. test-double.out. It may be
explained if you are using glibc-2.2.5 instead of 2.3.1.

> == Item 2 ======================================================
> ### Make initial - (shared) - Sat Feb 15 17:22:41 EST 2003 ###
>  o Configure OK
>  o Build OK
>  o Test OK
>  o ALL OK
> chgrp: changing group of `/stage1/bin/make': Operation not permitted

That is a bug in current LFS CVS. The chgrp thing is no longer req'd with
latest make. Additionally, Ryan seems to have used the Ch 6 instructions for
Ch 5 in his script. I wouldn't have done it that way :-/

> Since I am not running as root, I'm not surprised. I'll look into this
> later and try and get some detail/fix.
>
> == Item 3 ======================================================
> ### Gettext initial - (shared) - Sat Feb 15 17:31:32 EST 2003 ###
>  o Configure OK
>  o Build OK
> XXXXXX NOT OK - CHECK LOGS (gettext-init.log) XXXXXX
>
> Haven't checked this one yet. Going to let that ol' 6x86-II PR-300
> (233.862 MHz) keep rolling until end of chapter 5 and then check it.
>
> == End of Items ================================================
>
> The Chapter 5 script includes Ryan's mods for zlib, bison, flex etc.
> I had to guess at the sequencing of these items as the LFS book leaves
> some doubt when matched to your doc's list. It's almost done, in bison
> (the last thing before Ch 6, IIRC).
>
> I have saved copies of all logs and dirs if y'all want them for
> anything. I am intentionally running with things blended with the latest
> LFS CVS book stuff. Glibc 2.2.5, gcc 3.2.1. Plus LFS CVS 20021006
> upgraded to CVS 20021025 and some Blfs stuff. More detail available if
> there is need/interest.
>
> Currently setting up to try a chapter 6. Given the above, any concerns
> about that? I am going to try everything, including kernel, with the
> gcc/glibc/binutils et al installed in the Ch 5/6 Pure-lfs hint and
> Ryan's scripts even though the gcc 2.95.3 is recommended. This is only
> to see what will happen, can I boot/run with it. I'm hoping that it will
> deliver all of us some benefits later.
>
> Chapter 5 just finished. Dinner now and tomorrow I'll track stuff down.

Ryan may be able to comment on some of the above as I haven't been using his
script directly. The kernel compiled with gcc-3 will definitely boot and
run, afterall this is how current LFS has been for ages. But AC may not be
too happy :-)

Thanks Bill for your testing and feedback.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org