Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large c++ projects

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 03:51:28 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

> Hi
>
> Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but I believe this is worth
> mentioning to the general testing public.
>
> Did you know that RH have their own gcc-3.2 branch in the gcc CVS? Well,
> it pays to keep an eye on those sneaky devils :-)
>
> This patch caught my eye:-
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2003-02/msg00155.html

Patch did not cut and paste, so just applied it manually to gcc-3.2.2
and rebuilt.

> Someone with more patience than me, and at least 256 megs of ram, may want
> to give it a whirl for some larger projects (QT, KDE, MOZ, oOO or
> whatever) and see if it makes a worthwhile difference to the overall
> compile time.

Huge increase in speed here, though I am not testing like against like.

Machine AMD Duron(tm) Processor, cache size : 64 KB, with 512Mb 133 memory

> e.g. install the tweaked gcc with "--prefix=/opt/gcc-test".

Had a new system ready to install KDE 3.1 so just used --prefix=/usr

gcc-3.2.1 + binutils-2.13.1
Time to compile kdelibs-3.1 ....  217 minutes

gcc-3.2.2 + your patch + binutils-2.13.2.1
Time to compile kdelibs-3.1 ....  171 minutes

Any more patches like that?

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org