Printed book - remove deps and descriptions?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Feb 17 13:12:56 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Hey,
>
> It has totally slipped my mind to update the installation dependencies and
> package descriptions/contents. There are even a few saying "not checked yet"
> (like Gawk).

Get those checked so that you can include dependencies for everything in
the book. Then...

> I don't know what you guys think, but it looks quite bad in the printed book.
> For the online version I don't care all that much about it, but in the
> published book.
>
> The dilemma is: if we remove the sections, the book looses a lot of good
> educational information. But if we leave it, it's outdated information and
> seeing the shelf life of a book, it's even worse.

I think that a disclaimer about two things needs to be associated with
each package in the book. Both short and sweet. The first is along the
lines of "... the current/preferred versions of this package at the time
of publication is XXXX. That may have changed. We encourage you to take
a look at http://www.linucfromscratch.org/XXXXX to see if you want to
use a different version of this package".  The book must acknowledge
that it may be out-of-date on the date of publication. The web site
should maintain a "semi-static" configuration that includes only
*mandatory* changes (prevents segfaults, corrects mis-information,
etc.) to the *published* version of the book. It should be an "addendum"
to the book that book users are reading.

A similar dislcaimer for dependencies could be used. The web page would
maintain only *mandatory* changes.

> I'm at an impasse. Any opinions?

I don't see too many other reasonable options.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org