Printed book - remove deps and descriptions?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 17 18:50:48 PST 2003

On February 17, 2003 03:36 pm, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Regarding the dependencies, someone with a fast processor should be able
> to do it quickly using strace.

If it was a matter of that I could do it myself. Problem is with configure
scripts these days, they check for programs that they don't really need.
Every autoconf generated configure script will check for autoconf,
autoheader, aclocal and automake just to name a few. These are fals deps
though, since without those programs you can still install the package.

The time consuming part is determining whether the dependencies are real ones
or not. It's a lot of trial & error, move a dep out of the way, try to
install the package and see if it errors somewhere. If not, it wasn't a real
dep and should not be included in the list (the current dep lists contain a
whole lot of those false ones because once upon a time I Just took the strace
output and didn't modify it).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org