Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large c++ projects

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 18 14:20:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:58:46PM +0000, Lee Hancock wrote:
> Ive got 1gig of memory in my machine, i wonder if i change
> +#define GGC_MIN_LAST_ALLOCATED (16 * 1024 * 1024) to
> +#define GGC_MIN_LAST_ALLOCATED (128 * 1024 * 1024) i will see more of an
> increase in speedup? Might try a complete rebuild over the week end.

No. Re-read the gcc thread. Anything beyond 16MB is not likely to help.
Mindless upping of the number is not what is req'd here.

What is needed is for someone to perform some "compare apples with apples"
testing. Does anyone have the horsepower and the inclination to test this
out? Chris' results indicate this might be worthwhile.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org