Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 18 20:01:53 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:16:31PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Greg Schafer wrote:
>
> >Sidenote: I also found this other thing called microperl which is even
> >tinier than miniperl but it's a 3rd party package and not appropriate here
> >feel.
> >

> It may be official:-) Try make -f Makefile.micro in the perl-5.8.0
> directory. But I dunno how complete it is.

Heh, well spotted!

Official maybe. But not very well supported..

"You can now build a really minimal perl called microperl.
Building microperl does not require even running Configure;
C<make -f Makefile.micro> should be enough.  Beware: microperl makes
many assumptions, some of which may be too bold; the resulting
executable may crash or otherwise misbehave in wondrous ways.
For careful hackers only."

and

"All this is experimental.  If you don't know what to do with microperl
you probably shouldn't.  Do not report bugs in microperl; fix the bugs."

gws at tigers-lfs:~/src/temp1/perl-5.8.0$ ./microperl -V
Can't locate Config.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.7 .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

gws at tigers-lfs:~/src/temp1/perl-5.8.0$ ./microperl -V -I
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux -I /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
<cut>

So it does work, but needs all the stuff in lib just like the miniperl
solution. The miniperl thing looks a better bet at this stage.

Keep'em coming dude! :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org