Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 08:13:22 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On February 14, 2003 06:02 am, Greg Schafer wrote:
>> If this ever gets integrated into the book, it will drastically reduce
>> the
>
> I'm actually hoping to add it to CVS very soon now. It will wait for a few
> more weeks for logistic reasons (the prime one being that I'm moving in a
> few days and won't have an Internet connection for about week after I
> move. More on this in a separate email).
>
>> I'm still tempted to write a shorter version which doesn't go into as
>> much detail and doesn't take as much care, but still utilises all the
>> same principles. This shorter version could go into the book in a snap
>> and would instantly be a huge win over current LFS.
>
> Ok that doens't sit well with me. It sounds to me as though that shorted
> document would cut some corners (you actually uses that phrase (shorter
> doc will cut corners)a while ago). What will be the impact of the shorter
> version? If the short version goes in the book, would people still be
> interested in the longer version in the form of a hint?

Can I reinforce that!

The educative power of the full hint is superb.  I have learnt a whole lot
building Chapter 5/pure today, and I don't know how else I would have got
this info.  BTW: works OK with HJ's binutils (no patch, but a fiddle with
configure, documented elsewhere), coreutils-4.1.7.  So far as I can tell as
I start Chapter 6...

--
cheers,
Richard.