compiling glib-2.3.1 with gcc-3.2.2 --enable-oldest-api=2.2.5 problem

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Thu Feb 20 07:46:51 PST 2003

Realizing that Pure LFS is a moving target I, nonetheless, decided to
attempt it after a hardware failure forced me to rebuild, from the ground
up. The only thing that I didn't do was use the 2.5 kernel (and related
module utilities) since I have some third party hardware which has no 2.5
drive support.

I *think* I did everything by the book but I needed one other departure
from the hint (in order to make some legacy code work) namely, to build
GLIBC 2.3.1 with api support for 2.2.5. When I do this,  the ./configure
works fine, but the make fails with:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/glibc-build/libc.so: undefined versioned symbol name
getrlimit at GLIBC_2.0
/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: ***[/usr/src/glibc-build/libc.so] Error 1

GLIBC builds fine if I don't enable the api option. I mention this to the
LFS group because I suspect that this is a problem with the order/options
of building the compiler, libraries and utilties but I am not sufficiently
versed in symbol versioning to figure this out.

Unfortunately, I discovered this problem only after I had compiled a lot
of other code so I would prefer to find a way to repair it rather than
start, again. Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is off topic.

Sean

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org