Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large c++ projects

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 20 09:21:23 PST 2003

On February 20, 2003 09:23 am, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> recently removed and replaced by a simpler model, but it's somewhat slower

That was a mistake on my end. The 'recently' part has to be taken with a grain
of salt. Let me quote Mark Mitchell instead of paraphrasing to get the facts
straight this time:

\begin{quote}
	Part of that slow down is my fault: a few years ago, I simplified the
	memory management scheme in GCC, but the new scheme is slower.  The
	advantage is that we've had hardly any memory allocations bugs in
	years, and we used to have one a week!  We're trying to speed up that
	memory allocator in various ways.

	Then there's the general accumulation of "cruft" over the years. A
	long time ago, back in the early days of GNU, Richard Stallman needed
	a C compiler, so went ahead and wrote gcc-1.0. This was written on an
	old machine that had about 64 KB of RAM. A lot of this code is still
	around in GCC today and some of it has been a bottleneck.
\end{quote}

For those interested the complete interview is finished and will be posted to
tools.devchannel.org beteeen 3 PM and 5 PM MST

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org