Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large c++ projects

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 20 12:08:22 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:45:19PM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> > <advocacy> Noone's made a better CISC processor before or since
> > </advocacy>
>
> The ARM3 would blow the socks of a 68K anyday... ;-)
>
> ARM are RISC processors.

Maybe so, but I said CISC, and in my book, 68k is the best CISC processor in
existence.  Probably because the instruction set is so clean, and it has just
enough registers to get stuff done, not too little, not too many that you lose
track of everything.  And, my favorite derivative is the CPU32, specifically
the 68336 MCU.  You can't get much better than a 68k with everything onboard
(i.e. serial, chip selects, programmable interrupts, A/D converters, on-board
timer processor, timer unit....am I missing anything?)  Check out the docs if
you're curious. Btw, motorola literature is always free :)

Hmm, this is quickly getting off topic, but, oh well, noone's complained...yet.

-Justin

--
Registered Linux user 260206

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org