compiling glib-2.3.1 with gcc-3.2.2 --enable-oldest-api=2.2.5 problem

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu Feb 20 18:23:23 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:46:51AM -0500, mclinden at informed.net wrote:
> I *think* I did everything by the book but I needed one other departure
> from the hint (in order to make some legacy code work) namely, to build
> GLIBC 2.3.1 with api support for 2.2.5. When I do this,  the ./configure
> works fine, but the make fails with:

For starters the switch is "--enable-oldest-abi" is it not? Why exactly do
you need it?

> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/glibc-build/libc.so: undefined versioned symbol name
> getrlimit at GLIBC_2.0
> /usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: ***[/usr/src/glibc-build/libc.so] Error 1
>
> GLIBC builds fine if I don't enable the api option. I mention this to the
> LFS group because I suspect that this is a problem with the order/options
> of building the compiler, libraries and utilties but I am not sufficiently
> versed in symbol versioning to figure this out.

My gut instinct strongly doubts that. AFAICT, the --enable-oldest-abi thing
is not very well supported by the core glibc developers. It was a bit of a
hack introduced by HJL and I'm sure I read some mumblings recently where
there are problems with it. You could try the the latest HJL binutils
release. Failing that, take it up with the glibc devlopers on libc-alpha,
but make sure you have your wits about you (and also an asbestos suit :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org