Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 20 19:11:56 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>Gerard, have you had a good look at the hint yet? There are some possible
>obstacles to getting it into the book. Number one, due to more rebuilds and
>a few more Ch 5 packages, the whole process will take a lot longer. There is
>also the "make check" stuff in there which really blows out the time even
>more.

(IMO) It is ok if the build takes more time, it is more imporatant to
get it right and be super cautious. If the user is worried about the
time it takes to compile, then {,s}he should be be compiling packages
from the source in the first place:-)

The "make check" can be dropped from the book or should be marked as
optional in the book.

Also, the book could have shortcut alerts like the one you have in the
hint, but they should have the usual "Not Recommended" sign posted.

>Anyway, I prefer full blown purity so back to the hint for me :-)

Me 2:-)

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/