Pure LFS Hint - good to go

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu Feb 20 19:40:16 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 05:33:17PM -0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Just a thought that occured to me while reading the various "Pure LFS"
> threads.  Now that everyone seems convinced we're building a more
> reliable toolchain using this method do you think that any of the LKML
> or toolchain guys would be interested in taking a look at the proposed
> method and provide feedback.  Or are they too adamant to remain on their
> high-horse and continue to discredit LFS?

I disagree with this. Senior Linux and open source "identities" are not
likely to give a "rats arse" about developing a new LFS build method. Sure,
the LFS project is becoming more widely known and the fact that the these
guys know about it is great, but I would rather "let the proof of the
pudding be in the eating". i.e. let reputation take its natural course.

Lets face it, as much as I'd like us to be, we are not a distro. We don't
have paid developers and proper infrastructure. Part of the appeal of LFS is
the "do it yourself" nature of it and this is always going to lead to some
folk going off the rails. My whole reason for working on improvements is to
get the basics right so that we have a solid foundation which will hopefully
shine through in a better reputation.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org