Coreutils - incident of note

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 23:49:16 PST 2003

When I compile (Ch5 and Ch6) coreutils, instead of sh-utils, textutils and
fileutils, everything is fine, AFAICT.  But at one point in the configure
it outputs:

  checking for working C stack overflow detection...

and the whole machine stops for tea!  My 600Mhz PIII seemed almost locked up
for 3 minutes - even the mouse cursor - then it carried on.  Something
fairly hairy must be happening at a very low level.
Not something to worry about, just to be aware.  It might warrant a warning
if coreutils makes it into the book.  Frighened the pants off me!

--
cheers,
Richard.

Richard A Downing FBCS