compiling glib-2.3.1 with gcc-3.2.2 --enable-oldest-api=2.2.5 problem

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Fri Feb 21 07:33:55 PST 2003

>> I *think* I did everything by the book but I needed
>> one other departure from the hint (in order to make
>> some legacy code work) namely, to build GLIBC 2.3.1
>> with api support for 2.2.5. When I do this,
>> the ./configure works fine, but the make fails with:

> For starters the switch is "--enable-oldest-abi" is
> it not? Why exactly do you need it?

I mistyped. As I said, compatibility with shared libraries that use older
version of glibc. We support about 80 different LFS-based Oracle instances
and we use LFS because I have become disgusted with the ways in which the
Linux distributors have bloated the distros. We have had excellent
experience with LFS versions 2 and 3 but 4 has been problematic (I suspect
that the toolchain issue has something to do with it).

It isn't a serious problem because while the link editor complains of
missing symbols, the runtime doesn't need them. Still, it creates issues
for autoconf based builds because the compile/link errors foul up the
configure scripts. I can disable these with compile/link flags, but that
is somewhat distasteful.

Of course, if the vendors (like Oracle) would use only API calls and not
internals, this would be less of a problem.

Sean

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org