compiling glib-2.3.1 with gcc-3.2.2 --enable-oldest-api=2.2.5 problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 21 10:36:50 PST 2003

On February 21, 2003 09:46 am, mclinden at informed.net wrote:
> First of all, I didn't mean to knock the toolchain and this is not a flame
> but simply a comment.

I didn't take offense. The current book's toolchain build isn't perfect.
That's just a matter of fact.

> For me, the test of the success of the deployment is that you can actually
> run a production system on it not simply that it boots. The reality is
> that there are some legacy drivers, libraries, apps and the like for which
> source code is not available and for which portability is an issue for
> those of us who use LFS in production.

True. If you find that the current toolchain isn't stable enough, you are free
to downgrade to an older, proven to be more stable GCC version. You can still
use the LFS-4.x books, though with slightly modified instructions to install
the older packages.

> compatibility)  and the link editor complains when you try to relink
> legacy (Oracle) apps. It doesn't appear to be a problem insofar as the

I guess the Oracle apps aren't open source so you couldn't simply recompile
them to work with a newer Glibc?

> Go figure.

Welcome to bug world

> Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. Maybe I'll write a Hints so I don't
> forget this.

That would be a good idea.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org