Coreutils - incident of note

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Fri Feb 21 13:25:13 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:09:19PM +0000, Richard A Downing wrote:

>> Maybe this is HJ binutils related, or glibc-2.3.1?  I don't have time to
>> investigate further right now.
>
> I did the test on:
> GCC-3.2.1
> Glibc-2.3.1
> Binutils-2.13.1

OK, so it appears on all our recent builds and Mandrake9, but why are we
thinking it's a bug?  It's a surprise, that's for sure, but if the author's
intent was to consume memory until a stack overflow occured this would be
the result - not a rocket science solution, but not necessarily a bug.  The
one thing I don't understand is why this knowledge is needed to build
coreutils... No one needed to do this for the three packages it replaces.
Further investigation required.  I think your idea of a lurk/search of some
coreutils list wound be productive.  Now all we need to do is find it!  I'm
off to look..

--
cheers,
Richard.