Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large c++ projects

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 22 14:49:28 PST 2003

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:42:41AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On February 15, 2003 08:38 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > This patch caught my eye:-
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2003-02/msg00155.html
>
> Now the good thing about that patch is that it is making it into the main
> stream GCC too.I asked on the GCC list what would happen with this patch and
> one of the guys emailed me back (to the gcc-patches list actually) that this
> patch has been obsoleted by a change to make these garbage collector values
> configured based on the machine's physical RAM. That seems the best solution
> for sure.

Ummm, that is exactly what I said here:-

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/02/0798.html

Yes, I'm a sick puppy and browse gcc-patches too :-)

AFAICT, the new patches will not be backported to gcc-3.2.x. Someone may want
to do it by hand tho'. I find it interesting that RH apllied the simple patch
to their branch. In theory, it will slow down compiles on 64M and 128M
machines due to swapping. Or maybe this branch is only for RH's "Advanced
Server" product where the minimum RAM is probably something large.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org