Pure LFS - good to go

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 22 17:45:40 PST 2003

On February 22, 2003 04:15 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Well, I am still skeptical about it. Sure it's nice to go through patches
> from various sources and see whats what. But I think just blindly applying
> patches from distros without proper analysis by capaable programmers is
> just plain dangerous.

Understood. And agreed too.

> Having said that, I know from personal experience, that even without guru
> programming talent, if you do enough research and have enough common sense
> then appropriate patches can be produced. My lfs tweaks page attempted to
> justify each patch and this is the kind of thing I'd like to see for any
> lfs patches effort i.e. justification of patches.

I wouldn't want the patches site to become a big list of every conceivable
patch people can drum up and think of. It should be the kind of patch like
this GCC garbage collection patch. It was well tested by some of the LFSers
here, shown that it's a technically sound patch so we could list this patch
on the website. So yes I fully agree a lot of research and testing should be
done before we just post a patch. This will slow things down for updates, but
at least it'll be justified.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org