pure-lfs static? hash-ch6?

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Feb 23 14:02:58 PST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 03:02:37PM +0100, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> Hello Greg, Ryan, List,
>
> I have been following pure-lfs for a while, but couldn't try it out
> until this weekend because of very busy week with work.
>
> I was trying to build a pure-distcc-host (chapter 6 with just
> glibc/binutils/gcc + distccd) that can run chrooted to make sure distccd
> cannot reach 'bad' compilers and stuff/ easy to put on a machine and
> run.
>
> While doing this i run into these 2 questions:
>
> Why does stage1-pass1 build statically at all? host libs get used in
> these binaries one way or the other?

It's a good question. I've thought along similar lines myself at times. I
think part of it relates to taking shortcuts. If skipping the pass 2
binutils and gcc, the pass 1 versions need to be static inside the chroot.
But it should be possible for the pass 1 versions to be shared. It's just
that we haven't tested it :) Ryan may want to add something here.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org