Could you stop the AC bashing, please

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 06:44:38 PST 2003

"Matthias Benkmann" <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote in message
news:20030224145136.6721115c.matthias at winterdrache.de...
> AC is right when he does not trust LFS users to report kernel bugs.
Pure
> LFS will not change this a bit. So it's wrong to flame AC, because he
is
> right. And it's wrong to use AC's words as justification for pure LFS,
> because that's missing the point.
> All of this, of course, has nothing to do with the qualities of pure
LFS,
> just with the way it has been introduced and is presented.

I tend to agree with Ian on this point.  If lkml folks are going to
ignore kernel bugs coming from LFS users because of potentially
over-optimised (or otherwise "flawed") toolchains they may as well not
take into account any bug reports from anyone running a distro with a
compiler available for it.  After all just because someone says they're
running RedHat 8.0 doesn't mean to say they haven't recompiled any of
the toolchain packages.  All I can suggest to overcome this is that if
someone thinks they've found a bug in the kernel then they should try to
recreate it on a "regular distro"...if it's tickled on that then report
it as occuring under that distro, maybe the lkml folks will listen and
take note of it then.  If it only occurs on an LFS system then report it
to lfs-dev to see if it occurs on anyone elses build in order to
highlight any typos or instruction omissions that may have occurred
during that particular build run.  Is this worthy of mention on the FAQ
page or within the book perhaps (assuming of course it's even a
reasonable approach)?  This way then people *might* stop posting
spurious bug reports and frustrating the kernel developers in general.
I *personally* believe that the LFS community can provide a level of
assistance to the kernel developers because of our "purer" toolchain (by
this I mean untainted by distro specific patches) - IMO this takes one
variable out of the equation.

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org