Pure LFS Build

Steve Martin srm at netcomuk.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 14:44:27 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 15:57, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Once the gcc spec file and the binutils ld LIB_PATH are changed, none of
> the packages built after that should be able to find anything in
> /usr/lib unless findutils explicitly adds -L/usr/lib to the flags.

That's right.  What happens is that configure finds the library and sets
LIBS = -lintl in the Makefile.  GCC compiles it and links it, remember
that it only sets references to external libraries, they don't have to
exist:

[steve at zebedee find]$ ldd find
        libintl.so.1 => not found
        libc.so.6 => /stage1/lib/libc.so.6 (0x40016000)
        /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2
(0x40000000)

and the same is true for every executable in the findutils-4.1 suite.

I believe RedHat also include /lib/libintl.so.1, I recall some notion
that it should be included for compatibility reasons.  The same is
probably true of any RedHat based distro.

Granted if I had dejagnu installed the make check would find this ( I
hope ;-).  Guess that's my next step.

--
Steve Martin <srm at netcomuk.co.uk>

Still can't think of anything witty to write here.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org