New user and Pure LFS

Ronald Hummelink ronald at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 28 02:23:14 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 07:15, Richard Wallace wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just found this project yesterday and am enthralled by it.
> I built myself a test machine yesterday just to have something to
> play with this on.  I walked through the cvs version of the book
> yesterday (cvs and not 4.0 cause I wanted to use the most bleeding
> edge versions of things).  I had some problems with segfaults while
> building in ch6 (I think due to not applying the findutils segfault
> patch), but while looking around I saw references to the Pure LFS
> build strategy.  I just got done running the ch5 script version
> 9-8-1 (what's with the versioning scheme?) and had a few things to
> report.

The versioning scheme Ryan has 'fixed' (or so he wrote in other messages
to this list;)

> I noticed in the changelog that the version variables have been
> moved to the top with the rest of the others (which is good 'cause
> otherwise I probably wouldn't have found them).  The build was
> getting to the end without problems (except for something with
> gettext, which I'll get to later).  When it hit the expect and
> dejagnu parts, though, it crapped out.  Turns out the exports
> for the tcl, expect, and dejagnu packages are still defined
> in the later part of the script.  This threw off the build cause
> the expect version is actually 5.38.0 not 5.38.  Just thought I'd
> let you know.

It should be Commented out below (Mental note: next time send a diff to
Ryan ;)) but the expect I found was named expect.tar.gz which unpacked
to expect-5.38 so i renamed it like that

> The only other thing I ran into was something with gettext.  I'm
> using version 0.11.5.  The configuration and build went fine and
> it even installed, but the tests seemed to fail.  Here are the
> relevant sections:
>
> <snip file="testlogs/gettext-init.log">
>     219 > 'Your command, please?', asked the waiter.
>     220 > FF is replaced by EUR.
>     221 FAIL: lang-librep
>     222 1c1
>     223 < \xabVotre commande, s'il vous plait\xbb, dit le gar\xe7on.
>     224 ---
>     225 > ?Votre commande, s'il vous plait?, dit le gar?on.
>     226 FAIL: lang-java
>     227 PASS: lang-gawk
>     228 SKIP: lang-pascal
> </snip>
>
> <snip file="testlogs/gettext-init.log">
>     279 =====================
>     280 2 of 200 tests failed
>     281 =====================
>     282 make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
>     283 make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gettext-0.11.5/tests'
>     284 make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
>     285 make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gettext-0.11.5/tests'
>     286 make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> </snip>
>
> Does this even matter to anything or is this expected?

Afaik Ryan doesn't have gcj, but i have though and gettext craps out on
2 tests too but with exceptions in thread "main"

try gentoo (www.gentoo.org) although i don't really like it

>   But,
>       alas, there is no good client support for OpenAFS, so it's
>       out.  I had determined to build a system from scratch if
>       that was what I had to do, but was a little daunted by the
>       task.  I'm sure I could have done it with time, effort
>       and some determination (and my eyes constantly glued the
>       documentation and manuals for EVERY bit of software needed).
>       Then I found the linuxfromscratch.org site.  Exactly what
>       I wanted to do, documented and explained in a simple and
>       professional manner.  I went to bed last night thinking of
>       how I could automate the task of building and such and
>       then woke up this morning to find the Pure LFS hint and
>       scripts.  Just wanted to say thanks a ton for all the hard
>       work and good documentation and all.  This is the most fun
>       I've had playing on my computer since I first discovered
>       Linux about 4-5 years ago.  Thanks again.

Pure-LFS is work in progress, keep that in mind. There are a bunch of
automation scripts for the normal LFS at automated.linuxfromscratch.org.
I would recommend you do a manual build at least once. You'll learn more
by that.

waiting down the mountain...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org