Pure LFS - configuring for target

Grant Murray email at grantmurray.com
Fri Feb 28 09:41:04 PST 2003

I noticed in the build instructions for binutils that the target is not
explicitly defined (e.g. *./configure --target=i686-lfs-linux-gnu). This
means, I believe, that it is determined by config.guess by looking at
the host. Don't you think pedantic host independence would require that
the target be explicitly defined?

When in the build process do we get a default target that is independent
of the old host?

This all may be moot if binutils or other packages don't do anything
different based on the target.

Retaining anally,
Grant.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org