Pure LFS - configuring for target

Adam Trilling agt10 at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 28 09:59:22 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Grant Murray wrote:

> I noticed in the build instructions for binutils that the target is not
> explicitly defined (e.g. *./configure --target=i686-lfs-linux-gnu). This
> means, I believe, that it is determined by config.guess by looking at
> the host. Don't you think pedantic host independence would require that
> the target be explicitly defined?
>
> When in the build process do we get a default target that is independent
> of the old host?
>
> This all may be moot if binutils or other packages don't do anything
> different based on the target.
>
> Retaining anally,
> Grant.

Whoops!!!  Not only did i top-post, I cut out all of the stuff in my email
that actually responded to Grant's email!!  <cowers in shame>

I think that in order to obtain true pedantic host independence, we need
to build gcc as a cross-compiler.  That would entail building binutils for
the host, building glibc against linux kernel headers, and building gcc
against the new glibc headers before we could start building linux
software.

that would mean that, in pure-lfs terms, the first build of each piece of
the toolchain would require ./configure --target, but once we've built a
cross-compiler and hacked the linker scripts the target will happen on
it's own.

I've probably crossed the line between anal-retentive and insane, right?

Adam Trilling
agt10 at columbia.edu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org