empty autoconf.h = module compile errors

Matt Bartley mbartley2 at cox.NOSPAM.net
Fri Feb 28 17:15:02 PST 2003

Now that I have a nicely operating LFS partition (built from the
pure-lfs hint, followed by some goodies from BLFS), I've been
experimenting with compiling device driver modules.

My system is a 300 MHZ K6-2, now with glibc-2.3.1, gcc-3.2.2,
and kernel 2.4.20.

I'm following along with the O'Reily Linux Device Drivers book.
(The bucking horse book.)

I quickly found that even simple programs would bomb during compile:

In file included from /usr/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
                           from /usr/include/linux/list.h:6,
                           from /usr/include/linux/module.h:12,
                           hellomod.c:8:
/usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared
  here (not in a function)
/usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: requested alignment is not a constant

After much tracing through the include files, I discovered the problem
,or at least *a* problem.

The include files are looking at /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h for the
definition of CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT.  The LFS book, as well as the
pure_lfs hint, mention creating an empty /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
file after installing the kernel headers.

I  cd into /usr/src/linux and ran make oldconfig (I saved the .config
file from my previous kernel compile), then copied the newly-created
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h over to
/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h

Now /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h contains
#define CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT (5)

Problem apparently solved.

This may be an obscure case, but /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h ought to
not be left blank after the LFS install.  What would be appropriate?
Perhaps the include/linux/autoconf.h file resulting from compiling the
kernel in Chapter 8 : Installing Linux 2.4.20?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org