Need to decide on an installation dependency acquire method

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 05:36:05 PST 2003

On January 1, 2003 06:06 am, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> Isn't this a problem only during the configure step? Does fileutils run
> autoconf during make or make install?

Just during configure. Unfortunately we can't ignore the deps required by a
configure script. A 'make all install' might not require a program like 'sed'
but it's a fatal error if sed isn't there becuase the configure script will
never finish, so sed would be a true dependency whereas perl a false one. But
both are reported as one.

Maybe the only true way is doing it manually. We can use our own judgement and
vast amount of experience to figure out what is a real dependency and what
isn't.

If we split up the work between enough people we can do a thorough manual
check. Start with an empty path and start adding programs until errors
disappear or something installs with maybe a warning or two that don't affect
the outcome (ie: autoconf, perl and stuff will cause warnings but nothing
important).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org