New package installation page format

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 05:38:44 PST 2003

On January 1, 2003 02:16 am, Rob Park wrote:
> Alright, I admit that I like what you've done there. I was afraid you'd
> be removing the explicit commands and replacing them with the equivalent
> of "yeah, just do this, that, and the other thing, then you're set".

Just playing the devil's advocate: there's something to be said for that "now
configure the package with the usual /usr prefix". Would be a good excersise
for people to get used to memorizing these things, will make life easier down
the road.

> I think the explanation of the locales would go better in a hint that
> could be referenced by the book. It doesn't seem appropriate to stuff
> the book full of internationalization tidbits ;)

I wasn't going to stuff the book full with tidbits. If we just explain how at
least to install the files needed, we did our job by providing a way to
install that. The rest (ie: actually configuring locales) is up to yourself.
There are hints about that issue but it'd be a shame if we leave it out and
somebody would have to go install Glibc for a third time because the first
two times there were no locales mentioned and installed.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org