Need to decide on an installation dependency acquire method

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Jan 1 05:48:14 PST 2003

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 06:36:05 -0700 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On January 1, 2003 06:06 am, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Isn't this a problem only during the configure step? Does fileutils
> > run autoconf during make or make install?
>
> Just during configure. Unfortunately we can't ignore the deps required
> by a configure script. A 'make all install' might not require a program
> like 'sed' but it's a fatal error if sed isn't there becuase the
> configure script will never finish, so sed would be a true dependency
> whereas perl a false one. But both are reported as one.

Yes, but missing dependencies are obvious (configure fails) and can be
added manually later. So I'd start out with strace-deps of just make &&
make install and would then try to build the packages with only those deps
satisfied (e.g. by removing the x bit from all binaries not on the deps
list).

And of course we could just use the strace-deps without further checking
and if someone spots a missing dependency add it afterwards. I mean, if a
program is missing from the list, but no one notices, is it really a
dependency? :-)
If an omission doesn't break things for anyone, is it worth investing a
lot of time to avoid it? I think you have much more useful things to do
with your time. If you're anal about correctness you could say something
like "foo requires AT LEAST the following:"

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org