New package installation page format

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Wed Jan 1 06:02:10 PST 2003

Alas! Gerard Beekmans spake thus:
> On January 1, 2003 02:16 am, Rob Park wrote:
> > Alright, I admit that I like what you've done there. I was afraid you'd
> > be removing the explicit commands and replacing them with the equivalent
> > of "yeah, just do this, that, and the other thing, then you're set".
>
> Just playing the devil's advocate: there's something to be said for that "now
> configure the package with the usual /usr prefix". Would be a good excersise
> for people to get used to memorizing these things, will make life easier down
> the road.

Yeah, but that's a slippery slope that you definitely don't want to get
on if you want to fulfill the "education" goal of the book. I can just
see the next version of LFS:

"First, compile a bunch of stuff statically and put it off in some
special directory, then then chroot there and compile a bunch of other
stuff. Then diddle with your bootloader and voila! You're done!

"You can figure out the specific commands on your own; it's good
practise!"

;)

--
Rob Park