New package installation page format

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 07:51:42 PST 2003

On January 1, 2003 08:44 am, Ian Molton wrote:
> > > Well, its a guide book. I think it should guide, then inform.
> >
> > That's a  matter of opinion. I don't agree. That's ok but we probably
> > will never agree.
>
> What kind of book do you think it is, if not a guide?

It's a guide allright, I meant to say I don't agree that we should reverse it.
I don't see anything wrong with informing first, then guiding through the
installation when all the package's facts are known. I realize this is a
matter of personal preference so that's why I said we'd probably never agree
wich order is the right one.

> I've just gone to look. I have to say... YUCK! the book has gone from
> moderately concise lanuguage with all the commands in one place to a
> horrible 'chatty' type of format with text interspersing the commands.

It's also no longer a glorified shell script which I just hated. I want to
teach people not just give them chunks of copy and pastable test to use. That
doesn't teach a whole lot.

> IMHO the book has lost a very useful feature.

We'll see how it ends up being. It's mostly an experiment now (that's why only
Glibc is done this way, not the entire book yet). I'd like to hear from more
people if they like it or not.  So far everybody who responded likes it
(except you) so maybe it's not such a bad thing afterall. Time will tell.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org