New package installation page format

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 08:03:01 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>>>That's a  matter of opinion. I don't agree. That's ok but we probably
>>>will never agree.
>>>

>>What kind of book do you think it is, if not a guide?
>>

>It's a guide allright, I meant to say I don't agree that we should reverse it.
>I don't see anything wrong with informing first, then guiding through the
>installation when all the package's facts are known. I realize this is a
>matter of personal preference so that's why I said we'd probably never agree
>wich order is the right one.

Yep, agree with G. Looks better to have dependencies first.

>>I've just gone to look. I have to say... YUCK! the book has gone from
>>moderately concise lanuguage with all the commands in one place to a
>>horrible 'chatty' type of format with text interspersing the commands.
>>

>It's also no longer a glorified shell script which I just hated. I want to
>teach people not just give them chunks of copy and pastable test to use. That
>doesn't teach a whole lot.

Yep, agree with G again:) It was a pain (esepecially in BLFS) to see the
instructions, scroll down read the reasoning behind it and then decide
whether to use it or not.

>>IMHO the book has lost a very useful feature.
>>

>We'll see how it ends up being. It's mostly an experiment now (that's why only
>Glibc is done this way, not the entire book yet). I'd like to hear from more
>people if they like it or not.  So far everybody who responded likes it
>(except you) so maybe it's not such a bad thing afterall. Time will tell.

I thought the biggest gripe in most of the newbie flamewars was that
since the book made it so easy to cut-n-paste people tended to just
cut-n-paste and skip the explainations.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/