New package installation page format

Chris Wesdorp chriswesdorp at planet.nl
Wed Jan 1 11:11:22 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On January 1, 2003 08:09 am, Ian Molton wrote:
>
>>>1) Short description: what Glibc is and the files it contains (no
>>>individual descriptions, they are in Appendix A as usual)
>>>2) Installation depedencies
>>>3) Installation instructions
>>
>>Reverse 2 and 3 please.
>

> I think the current way flows more logically. First you get to see what's in
> it, then you get to see what you need to have installed before you can use
> it, then you go install it.
>
> Maybe for the LFS book it's not as much as an issue as it would be for the
> BLFS book because LFS is done in sequence (normally speaking anyways), but a
> book like BLFS might benefit more from this.
I like version 4 the most. But the dependecies in BLFS only mention the
package, listing all programmes needed can have a long list. As you say
LFS is followed in sequence the dependencies don't matter that much.

I would suggest three options:
1) only mention the needed packages in a comma seperated line (like the
program/library files).
2) BLFS style
3) put them on the bottom of the page.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org